Friday, October 12, 2012

The Importance of Balancing Your Life

As I write this post, I can assure you that I've always been able to give good advice, but i've never been able to take my own.  Now I type (on a freshly disinfected keyboard) from the sidelines with Pneumonia.  Whether you own a business, or work for someone else, i'm sure you can relate to the imposition of being ill  and not being able to get as much done as you would like.

This is especially true for me, as I own two businesses.  Between article and advertisement deadlines for a new magazine, to having clients with upcoming events that I have to deliver for, i am literally cringing with having to jump back in on overdrive after i'm well.  That same "overdrive" is what got me into this mess in the first place.  I would make a habit of working on projects until the wee hours of the morning, just to take a 30-45 minute "power nap" and start all over with pushing myself to the limit.  This, for various reasons, is unhealthy for anyone.

According to a Harvard University Sleep Deprivation Study, harmful effects include increased blood pressure, impaired control of blood glucose and increased inflammation (among many other risk factors) http://healthysleep.med.harvard.edu/healthy/matters/consequences/sleep-and-disease-risk.

We all have had moments where we are convinced that "pushing ourselves" will help eliminate things off of our to-do list much faster.  While this may be true in most cases, getting it done faster is not worth the risk of your good health.  Additionally, sleep deprivation and illness puts your family under unneccessary pressure, and ultimately catagorizes you as one that does not prioritize properly.

Make it a priority to study time management, and put into practice what works best for you.  If you don't, your family AND your business will suffer from the imbalance of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment